Ecstatic Dance Nashville is here!
- Join us on the FB page, MEETUP and/or email newsletter to ensure you get the updates on times & locations.
- Come to the Orientation/Education we have in the first 10 mins. For new and seasoned dancing souls.
- Cover the absolute basics of the guidelines for how to be in this space, what to expect, how to interact or not with others (FOR NEWBIES)
- A VITAL & FUN educational piece about non-verbal communication, body language, energetics or community (for new & SEASONED)
NEW TO THE GROUP: Please watch this vid to orient yourself to our Thursday Night Location.
- INVEST IN YOURSELF & THE COMMUNITY WITH EDUCATION ON NON-VERBAL, BODY LANGUAGE AND ENERGETICS
MY GOAL IS FOR EVERYONE IN THE COMMUNITY TO INVEST IN YOURSELF/COMMUNITY VIA THIS EDUCATION.
Why? To ensure we have a baseline/language of how to do this community thang together, how DEEP you can go with this practice (and I mean DEEEEEEEP) and how much fun we can have creating a whole new world together.
In this online orientation, you learn how to:
- Step into a completely non-verbal space
- Use your body language to connect – or not – with others (Encode)
- Read other’s body language (decode)
- Understand the energetic world and how to best keep yourself safe
We have 2 Monthly Orientation classes (1 on weeknight, 1 on weekend).
OR TAKE THE ONLINE orientation here.
Why Dance as Movement Medicine?
Please note: Ecstatic Dance Nashville will operate under the umbrella of Movement Medicine Dance.
MOVEMENT set to MUSIC has the power to heal, transform, and change our lives on the deepest level.
Dance allows us to dive into our creative non-verbal language with both our self and others. This allows us to express emotions, thoughts, beliefs and more that we are not able to express through other avenues. It is a DYNAMIC personal and collective form of art that you just have to experience at least once to understand the profound impact it can make on anyone.
Not to mention the sheer fun, bliss …and even meditative states you can reach in the right setting, with the right tools and intentions.
What to expect in this space:
Please read these carefully and ask if you have questions!
Movement Medicine Dance is free of all of the following:
- Alcohol, drugs and other mind-altering substances
- Conversations though sounds and singing are welcome!
- Fragrances (including body oder – please shower all off before coming)
- Acting on Judgements – just allow them to be with out judging them 🙂
- Instructors and instructions/steps to follwo – simply move however you feel led. There is no right or wrong way to move!
- Shoes unless specifically made and used only for dance
- Mirrors – to the best of our ability (to help with the judgment thang)
These are TOTALLY WELCOMED in this space:
- sounds & signing along
- Moving how you want
- movement therapy
- Moved & Be Moved, See & Be Seen
- being curious, playful and safe
- Exploring your full range of emotions
The space will have a live DJ, playing a huge range of eclectic music. Music ranging from World & Tribal beats to Electronic Dance Music, from Symphony-style Movie themes to remixed Top 40 – and more. You are certain to find some tune or tunes that MOOOVE you! You can hear some samples of the “Journey” (what the CD world calls the mixes for our dances) here.
What makes Movement Medicine Dance unique in the Conscious Dance world is the structure surrounding the Ecstatic Dance Journey (the main dance portion).
Here is that structure in a nutshell:
1) A 1x HIGHLY ENCOURAGED Orientation for all called Body Language 101 TAKE THE ONLINE COURSE HERE!
2) Community Ethos (foundational beliefs and core values) to guide community relating and our humanness.
3) Dance Floor Guardians to be an extension of the DJ, providing additional support, answering questions and ensuring safety.
This structure provides some strong river banks for the powerful River that rages in any Ecstatic Dance setting. This simple yet strong foundation allows us to take personal responsibility for our safety – while also having an element of collective responsibility. In this way, we can widen the safety on the Dancefloor while deepening the Dance, the community and the connection with self & others.
While the Orientation is no longer required, you will be individually responsible for knowing, honoring and abiding by all tenants found in the orientation. The online version is found here. In-person orientations to be posted here when they are available.
The small investment for this course helps support the work of furthering a Culture of Safety & Consent.